Installing the right mobile security software is a great way to protect your personal information. Scammers, viruses, and malware are all unfortunate realities of modern life. Knowing how to protect your phone from these threats can save you time, money, and stress.
Luckily, AT&T has designed an app to make solving these problems easier.
What is AT&T Mobile Security?
AT&T Mobile Security is an all-in-one mobile security app. There are two versions of the app: the Basic version, which is free of charge, and the Plus version, which comes with a subscription service. For now, let’s look at what you can get free of charge.
6 free security features from AT&T
- App monitoring: Not every app you download is completely safe. Some software will spread viruses or violate your privacy. The AT&T Mobile Security app will regularly scan your apps and warn you about software that it determines might be a threat (Android only).
- Breach reports: After a major breach, your device might have been exposed to threats without you even realizing it. Not only will this app send you alerts and emails when it detects a breach that might have impacted you, it will also provide tips on how you can address the issue(Android and iOS.)
- Email threat detection: Sometimes all it takes to get a virus on your phone is downloading the wrong attachment. The app will help detect threats like these in your email attachments before you make that mistake (Android only).
- Malware scans Ever wonder if your phone is just slow or if there is something malicious going on? Now you don’t have to. AT&T Mobile Security checks your device’s apps for known malware. You can also change the settings to monitor your files as well (Android only).
- Passcode check. With all the concern over viruses and malware, it’s easy to forget that criminals can also access your personal information the old-fashioned way. The AT&T Mobile Security app helps protect your data by ensuring you keep a secure passcode on your device. If your device is lost or stolen, it will be harder for anyone to access your private information.(Android and iOS.)
- System update. Keeping your phone’s operating system up-to-date is a good way to help protect it from threats. That said, sometimes people accidently update their devices from a malicious source. This app will monitor updates to your operating system and warn you if it finds any issues. It will also provide input on how to solve the problem (Android and iOS.)
All of these features are free of charge and will go a long way to help protect you and your devices. If you are especially interested in protecting your phone from these threats, you may also want to consider AT&T Mobile Security Plus. It includes four additional features:
- Secure Wi-Fi VPN (Virtual Private Network): Chances are, not every Wi-Fi network you connect to will have all of the protections you’d like. With your own secure VPN, you can protect your information when you connect to an open network.
- Wi-Fi Alerts: Another option for avoiding issues on open Wi-Fi is to avoid networks that might compromise your security. The app will send you alerts before you connect to a network that might be problematic.
- Theft Alerts: Is someone stealing your information? Has your phone been missing? Get email alerts so that you know anytime AT&T detects suspicious activity on your device.
- Personal ID Monitor – Has your personal information been compromised? Get alerts if your email, phone number, Driver’s License number, Passport number or Medical ID number are found on the dark web.
Whether you decide to use the Plus version or stick with the basic features, using this app is a big step towards keeping your information and device more secure. Now you can spend less time worrying about your phone’s security and more time enjoying yourself.
This article is AT&T sponsored content written by Matt Johnsen, a TechBuzz contributor. The statements in this article are his own and don’t necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of AT&T.